Sports

BYU looking to put together a winning streak when it hosts San Diego

Comments

Return To Article
  • Eastern CO Coug Elizabeth, CO
    Feb. 16, 2017 8:05 p.m.

I am a big fan of the LP3, but looking forward to the day that the Lone Peak 3 can put together a complete game. Seems like for much of the season that 1, 2 or even all 3 of the LP3 are struggling in any given game. Low percentage shooting and keep firing it up and something will eventually break lose seems to rule the thinking I suppose. Too many 4 for 15 or 1 for 7 shooting games lately from these highly touted folks. Too many fancy and/or lazy passes being thrown away lately. Turnover city. We have seen brilliance in all of them but hoping for that consistency and a little more unselfish play. But super exited about Childs. He is quickly emerging into one of the best.

• burningblue Provo, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 5:39 p.m.

@Spokane Ute

I agree. LK has done an incredible job on the hill. I didn't expect the Utes to be so good so quickly. Obviously this year has been a struggle this year, but they haven't done too bad for such a young team.

I think the Y has potential, but they definitely have some catching up to do. I'm looking forward to the match up in the NIT (if it happens) and the head to head next year.

• Gruncle Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 3:17 p.m.

“At San Diego, defensively we were slow....“Hopefully we’re better at that... our shot selection was pretty questionable...They got quite a few easy baskets against us at their place. We’ve got to hope we can stop them.”

----------------

Lot of hoping going on. Makes me think of an old song "Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'....."

I'm going to do some wishin' and thinkin' of my own.

I'm wishin' we had a coaching staff that had answers. In the past when Rose played a more conventional style of offense we had fairly good defensive teams, held teams to low shooting percentages and in the low 60's in scoring. We didn't throw up shots at such a breakneck pace but still scored enough to win 25+ games nearly every year.

I'm thinkin' back then we also had assistant coaches who were good enough to receive head coaching offers or opportunities to coach in major conferences. What do our current group of assistants bring to the table? Both Nashif and LaComb have never coached anywhere else. Maybe Rose needs to make some hard decisions.

• Utah rules Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 2:13 p.m.

I watched the Washington game but didn't see the clip board incident. I heard there was an injury involved to the coach. That seems excessive.

The approach of breaking things and yelling at players red-faced does not seem like a positive way to coach in any sport and at any level. I remember his playing days in Montana and he was the same as a player.

I for one would love to see Larry tone it down a bit, actually, a lot. he is a black eye nationally to the University of Utah.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 2:07 p.m.

Jello, Thanks.
    Oh, and yes I did say LK and not Coach K in NC. Please don't confuse the two. They have completely different styles. Coach K is level headed and LK, well, no so much.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 2:02 p.m.

Spokane,
    The clip board incident has nothing to do with the BYU game. Just pointing out different temperaments when it comes to coaching styles. It take a lot to get under Rose's skin and takes very little to get under LK's.
    Not sure why he thinks he needs to throw a temper tantrum and break clipboards to inspire his players and then later need to wipe off the blood. Other than Bobby Knight he is the only coach I know of that seems to lose their cool so easily.

Even worse the AD seems to condone this activity. Something is amiss on the hill.

• Jello is Good ,
    Feb. 16, 2017 1:03 p.m.

@ Spokie Ute

I think he said LK. Coach K is in NC.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 16, 2017 11:43 a.m.

Down Under

Naw, I see a blow out coming but we shall revisit this afterwards. As far as Coach K goes, I have no idea what that has to do with BYU's game tonight. However, considering the coaching job he's done, a clip board is a small price to pay. Love him or hate him, the way he has turned Utah around is amazing. I met him last year here in Spokane at Hoopfest. He was very approachable, and very cool. That's all I can ask of someone and he has my full support. Have a good day; and good luck tonight. BYU won't need luck though; blow out city; watch and see.

• Jello is Good ,
    Feb. 16, 2017 11:35 a.m.

I have no confidence right now in this team because there is no consistency and maturity at the point. In my make believe world if you could have put collinsworth at the point with this group it would be a whole different story. I think Saint Mary's can be had with the right effort, but I agree they won't touch Gonzaga.

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 11:05 a.m.

Spokane,
    I would not be so sure about a blowout win by the Cougs. Just like the Utes the Cougars start out really slow and can play with no heart and desire at times. I doubt that we will see coach Rose break a clip board in anger and frustration though to get his team motivated. That seeks to be a LK anger management approach.

Neither team will get an NCAA bid this year and are both NIT bound where they deserve to be. They may have good run in the NIT however.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 16, 2017 9:44 a.m.

Jello

No way they lose to San Diego; especially at home. They won't lose again until they come to Spokane; this is the best Gonzaga team I've seen in the 11 years I've lived in Spokane. Only other road game is at Portland; last in the WCC.

• DEW Cougars Sandy, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 9:03 a.m.

The good news we will get a winning streak tonight but the bad news will be like win, lost, win (if we are lucky on Portland), lost (Zags for sure), win, lost ( two games in the wcc tourney), win and lost (in NIT). Sorry for not being kind my friend Cougars. Yoeli Child is rising for sure and hope he continues to rise even higher. The other 3 LP, when are they going to be like Yoeli in improvement department. Why is it just Yoeli and Mika in the post, what about Kaufusi (Football rust)? We need to get Dastrup play more and the rest of the bench too.

• Jello is Good ,
    Feb. 16, 2017 8:58 a.m.

@Spokane Ute - Spokane, WA
    Feb. 16, 2017 7:46 a.m.

"BYU will win this going away. BYU is a 17 point favorite and San Diego is 11-15. Should be a walk in the park."

You never know with this team. We could just as easily lose this by 15 and then come back on Saturday and blow out Saint Mary's. Keeps your arms inside the ride, the roller coaster is still in motion.

• COUGARSTRONG HIGHLANDS RANCH, CO
    Feb. 16, 2017 8:28 a.m.

BYU's two biggest weaknesses are poor shot selection (very selfish individual play) and the lack of consistent defense. Both of those variable are independent of the inexperience and youth of the team. Defense and shot selection are products of discipline and selflessness. If BYU can't get those two things corrected than this team will struggle the next couple of years to win consistently. Haws, Emery and Mika have all had big offensive games this year so we know they can score. The question will be, can they defend at a high level and can they improve their shot selection? We have also seen what the lack of defense and poor shot selection can do to a team this talented, UVU, San Diego, Santa Clara, Pepperdine. Its been commented before but there are few teams that have had season highs in scoring, field goal percentage and efficiency against us.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Feb. 16, 2017 7:46 a.m.

• Road Runner Cedar City, UT
    Feb. 15, 2017 10:50 p.m.

BYU's biggest weakness is a lack of experienced upperclass leadership.

LJ Rose helped, but even he was a transfer still learning Dave Rose's system.

BYU's only returning upperclassman with significant playing experience was Davis, but he suffered a career-ending injury before BYU had a chance to gel as a team.