Utah

What the new Pew study says about attitudes toward Mormons

Comments

Return To Article
  • MoreMan San Diego, CA
    Feb. 22, 2017 8:38 a.m.

Mormonism... now less peculiar than ever.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Feb. 18, 2017 7:08 a.m.

@mini mite

That axe your grinding is still dull...

• KevinSim Springville, UT
    Feb. 17, 2017 9:25 a.m.

Mightymite posted:

=Pretty poor return on investing with the huge budget that the PR department
    =has, Recruiting and retention rates tell the full story on just how warm people
    =are to the organization,

Nonetheless, it may have been precisely what the PR Department was aiming for. They may have been completely willing to invest their efforts in order to get this amount of success.

• KevinSim Springville, UT
    Feb. 17, 2017 9:18 a.m.

Vanka posted:

=Good to see significant improvement in the perception of non-believers. For too
    =long, people willing to admit that the Emperor of the Universe is not wearing
    =any clothes have been unfairly condemned and poorly treated.

My guess is that the analog to the emperor's clothes is the divine inspiration of the LDS Church. Why do you think that the emperor has no clothes?

• SWSfraser Las Vegas, NV
    Feb. 17, 2017 12:01 a.m.

FYI, there are plenty of LDS Democrats in the US. And my Utah/LDS family (who did NOT vote for trump) are so disgusted with the GOP they may never vote GOP again-- singling out Muslims, attempts to gut the ACA and potentially Soc.Security, rolling back environmental protections; blatant dishonesty from the WH & the GOP Congress who tolerates it- and Chaffetz who claimed the protesters at his Town Hall were "paid" and not his constituents-- that LIE came from Trump-- and from racist birtherism to trump's comments about Mexicans, mimicking a disabled reporter, the disgusting disrespect toward women and immigration policies that divide families- I think its fair to say that my Utah/LDS family (and many of my LDS friends) is fed up with the GOP and the phony "religious" right. Maybe a broader poll needs to be done because I don't see anyone in Nevada or California (or any of my friends strewn about the country) warming up to the hypocrisy and oppressive views of the "religious" right (who should start practicing what Jesus preached- LOVE).

• Aurelius maximus Berryville, VA
    Feb. 16, 2017 12:29 p.m.

While these numbers are interesting I don't really care if people are fond of LDS people or not.

I don't live my life based upon what others think of me.

There are still plenty of mainstream religionist that say whatever bad thing they can about LDS.

It is nothing new. Romney was portrayed as the whits white guy to run for president. LDS are portrayed as not Christian or not Christian enough or a bunch of wacky things.

Read the book "Religion of a different color" by W. Paul Reeves. There's plenty of evidence that Mormons are very often negatively stereotyped.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Feb. 16, 2017 11:58 a.m.

Caravan writes "Let's say the same thing another way.....Democrats today do NOT like Mormons"

Except, it is not the huge disparity that you would like it to be. So, you really are not making your desired point.

From the article - Republicans gave Mormons a rating of 57, Democrats gave them a 52.

Your desired "correlation" is weak at best.

From the article

As for the ratings from the Republican-aligned participants, Mormons were at the middle of the religious pack with a rating of 57."

• mightymite , 00
    Feb. 16, 2017 10:44 a.m.

Pretty poor return on investing with the huge budget that the PR department has, Recruiting and retention rates tell the full story on just how warm people are to the organization,

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    Feb. 16, 2017 10:30 a.m.

Article quote: "And the "warmest feelings" for Mormons came from survey participants who were in older age groups, had higher levels of education and either were affiliated with or leaned towards the Republican Party."

Older groups: age tends to bring wisdom

Higher levels of education: knowledge is power. Or put another way, ignorance is NOT bliss.

Affiliated with/lean towards Republican party: Let's say the same thing another way.....Democrats today do NOT like Mormons. Why? Because today's typical Democrat has 'morals' that are in opposition to Mormonism: acceptance of homosexual behavior, sexual activity behavior marriage, abortion on demand, removing God from our government and our controlling documents, legalization of many harmful drugs, refusal of acceptance of authority, refusal of acceptance of personal behavior, etc. Now, there will be LDS members who say they belong to the Democrat party and be offended by my statement, but the truth of the matter is that the current protestors / flag burners / anarchists claim affiliation with the Democrats. You don't see Republicans doing this.

• windsor City, Ut
    Feb. 16, 2017 10:20 a.m.

Just shows any poll results depends on who you poll.

I would say by every indication and 'public square' estimation I know, religion has been slandered and mocked and ridiculed and disparaged exceedingly more more more, not 'warmed to'.

Wonder who they were possibly polling to get this result?

• Vanka Provo, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 6:38 a.m.

Good to see significant improvement in the perception of non-believers. For too long, people willing to admit that the Emperor of the Universe is not wearing any clothes have been unfairly condemned and poorly treated.

• JoeBlow Far East USA, SC
    Feb. 16, 2017 6:28 a.m.

Positive reactions to organized religion is dwindling quite a bit among the young (18-29) and one has to go to 50+ year olds to get a sub 50% number for atheists.

Not a good sign for religion moving forward.

It would be easy to blame the young people, or Hollywood, or Democrats or (insert here).

In reality, organized religion might do well to look at why the disconnect is happening.
    They are certainly not connecting with the young.
    Could it be that it always involves Power, Money and Control?

• Unreconstructed Reb Chantilly, VA
    Feb. 16, 2017 4:38 a.m.

We're third from the bottom, just above atheists and Muslims, and we're supposed to be elated?

Considering all the effort and money we put into PR, highly visible missionary work to spread the Good News, and charitable efforts, I don't see this as a cheery study in the least.

• FanOfTheSith Vernal, UT
    Feb. 16, 2017 12:40 a.m.

For the POTUS job, I'd give it another 20 years.

• christoph Brigham City, UT
    Feb. 15, 2017 8:19 p.m.

Whether you voted for Trump or not, our current president makes Mr. Romney look very good every day that passes. And being normal is becoming very popular. I am happy that Mr. Trump humbles the elite in our country (media and universities---which we have worshiped far too long), and I like a simple approach to government. Romney is a winner every day going forward.

• From Ted's Head Orem, UT
    Feb. 15, 2017 7:13 p.m.

@cutedog Yes, the DN seems to have moved more towards the middle in its stances, which is a noticeable shift from previous years. I have seen a difference in the tone of the comments, too. Personally I feel that there are those on the left who purposely come here to agitate and make comments like "Reality is most Americans think Trump is doing a poor job" and "Trump is the most mean spirited President in history." These are opinions that are meant to incite anger, the first statement being untrue or at least unproven and the second being naive as it is difficult to compare eras and there have certainly been some unpopular presidents in the past.

• The Meliorist Grande Cache, 00
    Feb. 15, 2017 5:51 p.m.

@Cute Dog,

Hostility towards the Church and Trump are not synonymous.

With the amazing attacks by Trump on the media is it any wonder people are going to the media to communicate their concerns?

If you want balanced comments then DN is the place to go. If you want pro-Trump stuff then try Breitbart. Reality is most Americans think Trump is doing a poor job and so most comments would not be supportive if the man who the Electoral College selected as President.

• NowIKnow Ogden, UT
    Feb. 15, 2017 5:45 p.m.

Feelings won't get warmer. If we truly represent Christ, we will be hated more and more for it. The fight hasn't changed. One was perfect. Perfect in love and with a perfect message, and they crucified Him for it. Always will be good vs evil. So, if we stand for Christ... really stand for Him and not a recreated version of Him - then we'll be hated. Bring it on!

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 15, 2017 4:59 p.m.

"Ratings given to those of the Mormon faith increased from 48 overall in 2014 to 54 currently."

"For participants aligning with the Democrats, Mormons remained the lowest-ranked religious group, moving from a 44 rating in 2014 to a current 52."

Kind of surprising that Democrats were pretty close to the overall rating. I think that's actually a good sign, it shows people can separate politics they disagree with from the rest of the faith that they may still respect even in disagreeing. Granted that was the lowest-ranked group for Democrats so maybe it's not worth much.

The volatility of some of this would be interesting (which ones get a higher or lower fraction of extremely high or low scores).

• Cutedog Rupert, ID
    Feb. 15, 2017 3:55 p.m.

I have enjoyed the comment section in the Deseret News, however the comments are becoming increasingly hostile toward the LDS church and President Trump.

I have wondered if it's because of all the positive stories about the anti-Trump marches and anti-Trump articles.

There is enough negativity in another local paper. It seems now it has spilled over.

• Thrive Provo, UT
    Feb. 15, 2017 2:53 p.m.

Mormons are a religious minority in the US at about 2% of the population. Most people don't know much about us. I'd say the warming trend is a trend towards religious tolerance in general.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Feb. 15, 2017 2:31 p.m.

I was tempted ask why this matters.

However, it is interesting that most Americans cannot distinguish between how the various religions and religious sects differ in what they teach about American values, and how we should treat our fellowman. (Although, Evangelical Christians may be in serious need of introspection.)

The fact that Mormons are pretty much lumped together with other religions in the average American's mind means either most Americans think they don't know any Mormons, or that Mormons are not treating others the way we believe Jesus taught us to. Perhaps it's a combination of both. As a Mormon, I need to do a little better.

• From Ted's Head Orem, UT
    Feb. 15, 2017 12:47 p.m.

Uh, that's certainly looking for the Mormon silver lining. Considering that Mormons are just barely ahead of Atheists and Muslims, I would venture to say that Mormons are not well like at all. This does not surprise me nor do I think it is a bad thing. Mormons are a peculiar people and I believe the future will bring only widen the divide between Mormons and other faith groups as the LDS Church isn't going to back down on its stance on gay marriage and other unpopular social beliefs.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 15, 2017 12:39 p.m.

@OneWifeOnly
    "I'm sure your readers will correct me if I am not correct."

Considering the chart accompanying the article... you are not correct. Views of Muslims also went up.

• OneWifeOnly San Diego, CA
    Feb. 15, 2017 12:02 p.m.

The heading for this article perhaps would be more honest if it said: 'Americans' feelings toward Christian religious groups are getting warmer.

It seems to me that our country is quite hostile toward at least one particular world faith that descended from Abraham.

I'm sure your readers will correct me if I am not correct.

• Open Minded Mormon Everett, 00
    Feb. 15, 2017 11:50 a.m.

Was this poll taken before or after most Mormons voted for Trump?

• Ugman Lindon / USA, UT
    Feb. 15, 2017 11:41 a.m.

I don't see this as positive at all. The way I read it, Muslims moved up more than Mormons in the last three years. The press on Muslims has been mostly unfavorable.

It's odd that every religion went up. How can that be?

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Feb. 15, 2017 10:18 a.m.

Lots of people are regretting the lies and negative media against Mormons now that Trump is President and not Mitt Romney.

Regret is a very powerful thing.

• The Meliorist Grande Cache, 00
    Feb. 15, 2017 10:02 a.m.

One great thing Trump is doing. Unifying the country. The one thing we can all agree in is that Trump is the most mean spirited President in history. And yes, as much as I hate to admit it, he is thereby bringing us all together.